St. Joseph Catholic Parish in Guelph was established in 1952 with 300 families as parishioners. The original parish rectory was located at 310 Paisley Road. At that time mass was celebrated at St. Joseph School. In 1953 a prefab church was erected on the land donated by the Schario Family. The present rectory was completed in 1954 and the office and construction where completed in 1985. The present church was opened in 1964 at a cost of $300,000. In 1980 the Church was remodeled and in 1987 came the installation of an Electronic Carillon.
In 1989 a handicapped access was provided to the church hall. In 1990 a new electronic-pipe organ was donated to the church. In 1991 a new long-term roof was installed and in January 2002 a major interior renovation took place that included a large stained-glass window depicting St. Joseph, Our Patron Saint. By Easter 2002, air conditioning, new lighting, carpet and other decorative features were completed.
St Joseph Parish serves four Elementary Schools, St. Joseph’s, St. Peter’s, St. Francis of Assisi and Mary Phelan along with Our Lady of Lourdes High School. We offer Religious Education Classes on Tuesday evenings for children who attend Public Schools and a Children’s Liturgy Program during the 10:15am Mass Sundays from September to May.
St. Joseph’s is the largest parish in the City of Guelph with 4910 registered families, comprising of 13,927 souls and 2600 average Sunday Eucharist attendance.
St. Joseph’s is very proud of our many hardworking volunteers that make us a very active, warm and welcoming parish. Without all our volunteers we could not do all the things we do!
CLERGY & STAFF
Very Reverend Jeff Bergsma
Father Gregory Merkley